Driver Qualification and Authorization
All individuals who will operate a Vehicle on University Business or for any other University purpose must meet the Minimum Driver Qualifications defined in this policy. Only drivers that fall in the “acceptable" category are authorized to operate a Vehicle unless otherwise approved by Risk Management Employees who will operate a Vehicle while traveling on University Business or for any other University purpose must certify on the Request for Authority to Travel Form 17 that they have reviewed the Minimum Driver Qualifications and that they fall within the “acceptable" category (MVR Grading Grid).
Students and Volunteers whose driving record does not fall into the “acceptable" category as defined by Risk Management (MVR Grading Grid) will not be authorized to drive a Vehicle on University Business or for any other University purpose without exception.
Student and Volunteer drivers must complete a Request for Driver Authorization Form RM01 if they will be:
- Operating a University Vehicle
- Operating a Personal Vehicle on University Business or for any other University purpose and specific written approval is required for such use. Documents granting written approval include, but are not limited to, Request for Authority to Travel (Form 17), Student Organization Travel Planning Form, or Recreational Sports Trip Request Form.
- Form RM01 must be forwarded to Risk Management, who will conduct an MVR review.
12 or 15 passenger vans:
- Drivers may not transport more than eight people (including the driver) in any 12- or 15- passenger size van for off-campus events.
- This policy applies to all vans including, but not limited to, those owned, borrowed, rented, or leased.
- Drivers may transport nine or more passengers in a 12- or 15-passenger size van when travel is limited to on-campus only.
- At no time should the number of passengers exceed the number of available safety belts.
- Student and Volunteer drivers operating vans on University Business must be at least 20 years of age, have at least two years of licensed driving experience, and must complete Risk Management’s Purdue Passenger Van Training prior to operating a van on University Business.
*Passenger Van training must be completed annually.